Monday, January 05, 2015

Tears of Joy

The state where Anita Bryant (I'll pause for appropriate booing and hissing)...
waged war on same-gender loving people decades ago is now a marriage equality state. "The moral arc of the universe is long, but it bends toward justice." Or, more crudely but still powerfully stated in the words of "Brother Boy" (Sordid Lives)...CYSMPN?
Honestly, I've been teary all day. I've literally waited a lifetime for this day. New York became a marriage equality state after I left, as did Arkansas...Finally, I live in a state that (by judicial force, but whatever it takes) recognizes my full humanity. And, I can legally marry the person who has been my partner and spiritual spouse for all these years in my home state (and home church)...no need to cross any borders like a refugee (as was once our plan). I never realized how overwhelming the joy would be. Oh, and yes, the June wedding is being planned! But first, I get to share the joy of the couples who will be married this week. Whoops, here come the tears again.

No comments: