Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Lent As a Time of Healing

Spirit & Truth

Lent as a Time of Healing
“Repentance… is a relinquishment and should be made without too much vehemence. Therefore, I deny out of consciousness old error thoughts, as if I were gently sweeping away cobwebs, and I affirm positively and fearlessly that I am a child of God, and that my inheritance is from [God].” Charles Fillmore, Keep A True Lent

Ash Wednesday begins the Season of Lent. Lent is traditionally a time of repentance and sacrifice. Of course, Lent is useful for helping us prepare for the Renewal symbolized by Easter, but the sacrifice we should be making is the giving of generosity, goodwill, and praise, not the giving up of life’s simple pleasures. And repentance isn’t looking for reasons to feel guilty; it’s having a change of attitude. Turning away from negative thinking and toward optimism is the repentance that will benefit us the most. Let’s allow Lent to be a time of healing where we learn to love ourselves completely and experience life abundantly!

I am turning away from fear and pessimism and toward the Truth that I am, have always been, and always will be a child of God. Amen.

Rev. Dr. Durrell Watkins, Sunshine Cathedral
"Spirit & Truth" is a daily devotional magazine published by the Sunshine Cathedral

No comments: