Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Isn't Ignorance Exhausting?

Pat Robertson, proving once again that there is no cure for the common fool, has now declared that homosexuality is caused by abusive coaches and guidance counselors. I swear. I'm not making this up. It's so ridiculous you must think that I just threw it out there to see if you were paying attention; but no, that apparently is Mr. Robertson's ill-informed, unenlightened view. My guidance counselors (in Jr. High and High School)were women, and not abusive women at that. And, as I was in the marching band, my life was pretty much coach-free. Still, I wound up gay as a goose (and completely unrepentant I must say!).

The disturbing thing isn't that some southern homophobe hates queers and has a seventh grade understanding of human sexuality. The disturbing thing is that I know his name, and when I mention his name you know who I'm talking about. How can someone who chooses to be so ignorant (and yes, it is chosen ignorance...there is far too much information about this sort of thing readily available for anyone to believe that basketball and track coaches are the cause of same-gender attraction!) have such influence in the lives of so many??? I don't have an answer, but I can say that his brand of never-ending homohatred does get really tiresome.

Rev. Dr. Durrell Watkins
Sunshine Cathedral

No comments: