Monday, June 29, 2009

Talk Isn't Always Cheap

President Obama is very eloquent. He often says what I want to hear. He comforts me. His erudition can even inspire me. But, of course, I want action. I want results. I want the economy healed, the environment repaired, women's right to choose protected, and same-gender loving people to be afforded all the rights, privileges, opportunities, and protections of other citizens. It's a tall order. It may be too tall for one person to fill, but still I hope.

Here is something that I find encouraging...the President actually talks about the issues I care about. Sometimes he is criticized for being "all talk," but even naming the issues and raising awareness about them and showing concern is a huge improvement over what we've seen from past presidents. In fact, he has already given more "lip service" to gay issues than any of his predecessors. He is at least willing to talk about us (and to us)! And talk may lead to action; silence will not.

Those who try to disguise their homophobia as religious values and their hatreds as wholesome tradition will also try to use the president's gay positive speech against him. Still, he keeps talking. And if he's willing to take that risk, perhaps we can trust him to take others. We can at least hope. And, we can acknowledge that he is at least willing to recognize that we Queer folk exist. That's something. It's not enough, but it's a very good start.

Rev. Dr. Durrell Watkins
Ft. Lauderdale

No comments: