Monday, January 04, 2010

Taking Responsibility for 2010

Healing Rays: A Progressive, Positive, Practical Weekly Reflection
by Durrell Watkins
January 4, 2010

Taking Responsibility for 2010

I was not a very happy child. Being a queer child in the rural mid-South in the 1970s was not the easiest path on which to start! Home life was difficult, so not only did I experience the world to be a fairly hostile place, I did not find home to be a safe refuge from the scary world.

By mid-high school I started coming out of my shell and by college had claimed my authority as a person of power! Of course, being young and having an unpleasant past, I had no idea how to use that power, and often misused it with pretty difficult consequences to follow. There were plenty of missteps, false starts, rocky relationships, and just plain old unwise choices!

For the last decade or so, life has been much better, with more "ups" than "downs" and with learning lessons more quickly from the "downs." Most of my relationships are healthy and harmonious, and the few that aren't have something valuable to teach me.

I've come to realize that I energetically create, attract, or move toward most of the conditions in my life (maybe "all" of them, but that's a hard pill to swallow). When life isn't what I think I want, if I will spend time finding and fixing my fears, my regrets, my lack of clarity, or if I will do the work to forgive and release someone who I believe hurt or betrayed me, then pretty quickly, life gets right back on track.

2010 is a New Year, or at least it can be. We can bring all the regrets, mistakes, hurt feelings, and disappointments from 2009 into 2010 if we choose to; but then we'll just get 2009: The Sequel. Or we can change an attitude here and there, forgive a person or two (maybe even ourselves), broaden our perspectives, choose a new thought that will create a new feeling that will generate a new energy that will create, attract, or move us toward a new experience.

The past is behind us. Let's make 2010 the year we really want to have; let's make 2010 a year of happiness, progress, and fulfillment. Let's know that we are the thinker who is thinking the thoughts that are creating our lives. Amen.


Rev. Durrell Watkins, DMin
www.sunshinecathedral.org

No comments: