Saturday, April 21, 2007

God Can, I Can

"Decide what you want. Believe you can have it. Believe you deserve it and believe it's possible for you." - Jack Canfield

A friend of mine in the 12 Step movement told me years ago about her "God Can." It was just a coffee can around which she had wrapped brown paper. On the paper in magic marker she had written the words "God Can." It was a reminder to her that when she felt limited she could turn her issues over to her Higher Power and that Power was able to "restore her to sanity" or otherwise bring healing to the situations of her life. Her God Can was a way of saying, whatever the issue, God can help. So, when difficulties would arise, she would simply write the issue down on a small index card or piece of paper and drop the issue in the God Can, thus releasing the problem to her Higher Power. Once she let go of the problem and reminded herself that "God can" help bring healing to the situation, almost every time she would experience improvement, sometimes immediately.

Of course, for people who don't resonate with God language, I suppose an "I Can" would work as well. It may seem that some issue is overwhelming or insurmountable, but the Truth is is that "I can" cope with the situation and once I focus more on the possibilities than on the problem, or once I spend more time considering the solutions than the difficulty, I will find a way to resolve the problem or find a way to improve my situation. I can choose how I respond to any predicament. I can choose to raise my personal energy level by finding hope or joy or consolation regardless of what has happened. And my choices can help me feel better, and when I feel better I tend to attract better conditions in my life. So, if I ever wonder if I can deal successfully with a situation, the answer is, "of course I can!"

Maybe a God Can or an I Can would serve us well - just a can where we can go through the motions of releasing our problems and perceived limitations to the Universe and thus remind ourselves that amazing blessings, even miracles, are possible. Or, rather than a God Can, we could simply remember to write or affirm aloud, "God can" heal this issue, or "I can" experience hope and healing in this situation. One way or another, it is important to remember that God, in and as me, can. And so it is!


“Focus on what you want, not on what you don’t want. Where your attention goes, energy flows..." – Marie Turano

No comments: