Tuesday, July 24, 2007

The Madness Continues

So I'm at a protest rally today. Why? Because the mayor made ridiculous, insensitive, and inflammatory comments about the gay citizens that make up part of his constituency.

Of course, there were a handful of misguided people shouting that God was proud of the mayor's homophobia and that God actually shared the mayor's disdain for queer people. I was one of several speakers challenging the mayor's homophobia and the crowd gathered was large, orderly, energetic, and receptive to the rallying cries. But looking back over the day's events, I am once again disturbed that in the 21st century anyone not otherwise medicated and under constant surveillance would publicly utter the words, "God calls homosexuality an abomination."

Of course, the people saying this are quoting a verse from the biblical book of Leviticus. Many of them don't know where it comes from nor are they aware the same book condemns the clothes they wear and the food they eat. Their ignorance of what the text says beyond the little catch phrase that they use like a poisonous dart is disturbing enough, but I'm more stunned to realize that anyone pretends to believe that the bible is somehow God's memoir.

Now, let's be clear...I love the bible. In fact, I love the bible for a living, and I have spent my entire life exploring the depths of the mystery of life that many call "God." And yet, for all my devotion, I have not imagined in adulthood, or at least not since VERY early adulthood that God in any way authored any part of the bible. Inconsistencies, contradictions, and scientific inaccuracies notwithstanding, it just doesn't seem sane to imagine that God is in the publishing business. Of course, as blasphemous as it may sound, I also don't believe the earth is flat or that leeches are state-of-the-art medicine.

I don't care that people who aren't terribly in touch with their own sexuality are frightened by mine (as they perceive it). I do care that they have deluded themselves into believing that their sexual hangups amount to divine revelation. That is a level of crazy that keeps me up at night...at least long enough to write about it in my blog. Sadly, the homophobic madness continues.

No comments: