Monday, August 27, 2007

My Experience With the Science of Mind

When I was reminded recently that the definition of psychology is "the science of mind and behavior," I had an aha moment (a psychological breakthrough!).

I've been studying Ernest Holmes' "Science of Mind" for 20 years, as well as other writers who tapped into mind science as a way of achieving happiness and accomplishing goals. Joseph Murphy, Claude Bristol, Norman Vincent Peale, Nona Brooks, Emma Curtis Hopkins, Charles and Myrtle Fillmore, Fenwicke Holmes, Louise Hay, "Abraham" (as shared by Ester Hicks), Thich Nhat Hanh, Ralph Waldo Emerson, and to a lesser extent Mary Baker Eddy, Emmanuel Swedenborg, and A Course in Miracles have all helped me understand that thoughts are things (and things are thoughts), and as one develops a consciousness that expects and allows a certain kind of "good" that good shows up pretty consistently and often dramatically. I've learned that I really am a channel for unlimited possibilities and the thoughts that I habitually think and the feelings that I routinely nurture determine how and when my "channel" opens.

And now, remembering that psychology is really just the science of mental processes, or thinking and feeling, or "mind" has given me that much more confidence in my chosen spiritual path. Psychology has become a respected behavioral science and psychologists have become trusted mentors and healers. But the study of mind (or "soul") predates Freud and Skinner and Jung and Maslow and Frankl. Jesus, Buddha, Socrates, Gibran, Rumi, Emerson and others all studyied the power of Mind and helped others tap into that power to use for their betterment. We are channels for unlimited possibilities and we can learn how to keep the channels that we are open and flowing freely with miraculous Good.

In the area of career, I've had ups and downs, but I always end up in a good place that leads to a better place. I am currently the happiest I've ever been with my work. In the area of health, I have been very fortunate and have been able to consistently experience overall good health. For years, I struggled with my love life, but my last two partners have been wonderful men and I am still very close to the last one (and to his partner) and my current partner and I have been together happily for several years. Money has been a real area of growth and learning for me, but I have learned to trust the unlimited Abundance of life, and for the last couple of years have found myself pretty comfortable.

In some of these areas I still have work to do, and I sometimes forget my lessons and have to relearn them (more quickly each time), but I have experienced such healing and growth that I now am confident that I know how to do the work and that things will keep getting better and better. Harmonious relationships, good health, satisfying career, academic success, global travel, creative endeavors, and ever increasing happiness have been the result of my work with metaphysics/spiritual psychology. I am learning the truth that "it works if we work it" (to borrow a Johnnie Colemon line).

So, I will keep studying mind, thoughts and attitudes, and learning how to tap into the incredible powers that are all around me and flowing through me and expressing as me. And as I demonstrate my Good, I will continue to offer as best I can the hope to others that they can change their experiences by changing the way they think. It does work if we work it, and I am enjoying the rewards of my work.

No comments: